Monday, 29 September 2014

20 Geocaching Questions

Washknight came up with the idea of asking various geocaching bloggers a set of 20 questions to see how we all replied.  So, here are my answers:

GeoBlogger 20 Questions
1. When and how did you first get into geocaching?

--My best friend introduced me to it. She had been caching for some time and was telling my teenage daughter about it. I remember thinking at first "what an odd thing to do for a hobby" but having seen how keen my teen was and how much fun my friend was having doing it, I decided when I upgraded my mobile phone I'd go for a smart one and give it a shot.  That was back in June 2011.
2. Do you remember your first find?

--Yes, it was called Roadside Dash and was very near to where I live.
3. What device(s) do you use for locating caches?

--I use my phone (Samsung Galaxy SIII).
4. Where do you live and what is your local area like for geocaching? (density / quality / setting etc)

--I live in Woking, Surrey.  Caching density is quite good around here with some lovely walks over common ground and quite a few rings in the area.  A good range of cache types too.
5. What has been your most memorable geocache to date, and why?

--Tough question.  Probably JJEF's Newton's Pendant over Maidenhead way. Purely for the ingenuity of it at the time but there have been so many great cache containers over the years.
6. List 3 essential things you take on a geocaching adventure excluding GPS, pen and swaps.

--Food, drink, tick-twisters
7. Other than geocaches and their contents, What is the weirdest thing you have discovered whilst out caching?

--Nothing springs to mind.  Our adventures are quite ordinary it seems.
8. On a scale of 1 to 10 where 1 is I am obsessed by numbers and 10 is I am all about the experience and the quality of each individual cache. Where do you put yourself?

--About a 5. I love collecting numbers but I won't run out to get a new cache now that I've done a couple of FTFs, and I'm filling up my grid slowly but, again, won't go out especially for a day I don't have. I do enjoy the variety of cache containers but am slowly disliking rings of 35mm containers more and more.
9. Describe one incident that best demonstrates the level of your geocaching obsession.

--Easy.  I think I came close to being divorced when I did this X Marks the Spot cache.
10. Have you picked up any caching injuries along the way?

--Odd bit of ankle twisting and being caught on brambles or rose bushes but nothing serious.
11. What annoys you most about other geocachers?

--Not much.  Occasionally some seem less than caring when replacing caches.  Nice to see all lids shut where possible.
12. What is the dumbest thing you have done whilst out caching?

--Deleted my geocaching.com App - mid-cache trip and no phone signal. Here you go: Chesham has lots of hills - I was not a happy bunny!
13. What do your non caching family and friends think of your hobby?

--Most are really interested in it and happy to come out and give it a try. In fact, we've promised a lot of people a caching trip so really need to get out and take them with us.
14. What is your default excuse you give to muggles who ask what you are up to or if you need help?

--Depends how obvious we are or how quickly they snuck up on us!  Sometimes we're just honest. Others we pretend we're looking for something. Often been scrambling up a tree and just said "good morning" to people who have looked at me in a puzzled way as they were walking past.
15. What is your current geocaching goal, if you have one?

--To keep enjoying it and get out a bit more to do it (now involves a drive for caches as completed most of the local area).  Would like, at some point, to complete the 365/6 days of caching challenges.
16. Do you have a nemesis cache that despite multiple attempts you have been unable to find?

--No. I've found them all although sometimes on 2nd, 3rd or 4th attempt.
17. What 3 words or phrases best sum up what geocaching means to you.

--Free Family Fun
18. What prompted you to start blogging about geocaching?

--I blog anyway so it seemed a fun thing to add into my blogs. I did originally have a separate geocaching blog but it was a bit sporadic so I put it all into this one blog.
19. Which of your own blog entries are you most proud of.

--I hope to give people a grin with my blog posts but one that got a lot of hits and made a good few people laugh was this Mind if I climb your garden fence? - we got lost!
20. Which other geocaching blogs do you enjoy reading?

--There are a variety that I've signed up to but off the top of my head I can't think of their titles as I get an email when they have written a blog piece (good way to stay in touch when you forget to look at them frequently).

Do join in the fun and answer these questions on your blog then drop in on Washknight's blog and say hello!

3 comments:

  1. Enjoyed reading your answers. I have had a go at answering them on my blog too http://cotswoldcaching.boards.net/post/6835/thread

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fab! I've not bookmarked your blog too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Washknight sent me....such an interesting exercise he's set us - but I'm excited to have new blogs to enjoy - I look forward to exploring yours more :-)

    ReplyDelete