Thursday, 18 September 2014

Another bloody cold sore!

Poor S. You may recall that she suffers from cold sores.  She started getting them when she was around 3.  She's even managed to have one bought of impetigo in exactly the same area - bottom lip, left hand side.  I feel so sorry for her.


A couple of weeks ago yet another cold sore came up.  We're using those Compeed patches like they are going out of fashion in this house!  We caught it early and it took around 7 days to completely disappear all the same.  Today was school photo day for her. Guess what she woke up with?  Yep, a stonking great cold sore :(

I'm not sure if I told you this but every school photo she has had done (3 years now, since she was in nursery) she's had a cold sore for it.  How is that even possible? This year we thought we'd beaten it as at the beginning of this week, her cold sore had almost disappeared but nope, as usual, it's back.

Last weeks cold sore was swabbed by me.  The last time we visited a doctor about it, I was given swabs for the next outbreak. I'm cross today though as when I tried to call the doctors surgery on Monday to get the results (yes, 10 day wait you know) I was informed, in quite a blunt manner by the receptionist as I got through at 10am "You need to phone us between 2pm and 4pm for results.  Thank you" and she hung up!?  WTF?  I've been so busy the rest of this week I've not been around during those two hours to get the results. Tomorrow I shall phone and trust me here - someone will give me those results no matter what sodding time it is!

What I'm more cross about is it seems there is nothing we can do for our poor little 5 year old girl who must have at least 8 - 10 cold sores per year.  It's beyond ridiculous.  Surely this isn't normal?

I'm looking for support from anyone else with young children with cold sores please.  What are you doing? Have you found a great treatment I can get/ask my doctor for? Anything!

Hubby and I both suffer from cold sores, as does the teen, but none of us have had one and none of us would kiss each other on the lips if we did.  How can this little girl of ours suffer so badly with them?  Any advice folks?

5 comments:

  1. Hi ive just come across your post and wanted to assure you that you aren't the only mummy who had a child with repetitive cold sores !

    My daughter is 10 caught the virus when she was 3. I'm not sure if it was from an affected toy/ pencil that she put in her mouth at preschool, or from a kiss.

    When I originally to her to the doctors he told me it was impetigo and we treated her for that for about 3 years until on one visit on a totally unrelated subject I asked for more cream and he told me that they were actually cold sores.

    I have never had a cold sore in my life, hubby has had perhaps a dozen in the 25 years we have been together.

    She used to get them about 3 times a year, which was OK.
    About 2 years ago we went to Disney Florida. She loves waterparks and water. whilst there she got 2 woppers that had so much liquid in them I was afraid they would burst.

    Since then she has had cold sores continuously. This year since march 20th she has had 6 outbreaks
    The longest stretch was through the summer holidays when we went a whole 8.5 weeks without a sore
    I record them all trying to find a reason / trigger but cannot.

    Last Saturday she went to drama felt the tingle at 9.30 by 1pm it was already blistering.
    Stuck ice on and killed the little bugger, next morning she had one on her bottom lip.
    Unfortunately she had a swim party to go to, when she got back the sore was huge and weeping.
    Treated that one and another came back on the original spot on her lip. ( so 3 cold sores since Saturday)

    I have a healthy happy girl who cannot seem to fight this virus like most people can.
    I tell my self daily that cold sores are very common, which is hard when no one else seems to get them, especially no other kids.

    This is a list of items that may help that I've been using since February

    Lysine:- apparently this stops the virus from being able to replicate
    Most tablets are huge. I bought my daughter some lysine powder from Amazon, 1 scoop per day = 1000mg
    I mix it with fresh orange juice - tastes slightly salty but it is drinkable
    I give her this every day.

    Good vitamin/ mineral :- helps boost immunity. I use animal parade gold
    I have also supplemented with a fizzy zinc / vit c tablet that tastes like fanta

    Lip balm:- I have used this every night, it has lemon balm in it and I got it from herpes.org

    None of the above seemed to help.

    When she has a sore we use compeed patches. You can buy these in bulk on ebay as they are Far cheaper than from chemists etc.
    We also have a light machine, that you hold over the sore, fab reviews on Amazon - I think it helps

    We also use on the sores
    Quantum health lotion and balm (from Amazon)
    Lypsyl cold sore cream
    Zovirax ( no use on the blisters)
    Silicea
    Herpotherm (never used as it gets hot and daughter is too scared to try it)
    Ice cubes wrapped in a bag - this does work if caught early enough.
    Sudocream

    As you can see I have tried lots of things to help her, but nothing stops them.

    My next step will be aciclovar suppressive treatment from the doctors.

    I wish there was a cure for this. Sometimes when I see my daughter with plasters on her lip and it's all yellow underneath from the liquid. I want to cry. She tells her school friends they are ulcers as she can't be bothered to explain

    I don't know if any of this is helpful, but at least you know that your little one isn't alone

    If you would like to stay in touch please let me know

    As I said , I have never had a cold sore in my life, but my world is blighted by them.

    Ron


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ron. I appreciate you getting in touch. I've tried many of those ideas but not the simplest one of ice. I'll give that a go next time. Likewise, S didn't have a cold sore over the summer holiday so I do wonder if it's somewhat stress related (she can be quite an anxious little girl). Will keep in touch!

      Delete
  2. Yes mine gets quite stressed as well, not helping that she is getting to that age when appearance is becoming important.
    She has been prescribed some aclivovar tablets, 2 per day for a month to see if she can get them under control
    I am really hoping that they work and that they beat the virus into submission

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Krista,

    I'm really sorry to hear about your little darling having to deal with the cold sore virus. 8 to 10 breakouts in a year is ridiculous - you shouldn't have to feel helpless and that there is no end to this cycle, there are things that can help.

    I came across your blog post because I work in the treatment of cold sores, specifically developing a topical natural mineral treatment called Dynamiclear and counseling patients on correct nutrition to help ease the frequency of their breakouts (for both genital herpes and cold sores).

    We see a lot of success with people who follow these regimes, and I would be happy to send you some samples for your daughter to try. Please email me your address if this is something you are interested in.

    Here are references to some resources that we promote that are helping lots of other people in similar situations:

    Dynamiclear topical treatment - http://www.dynamiclear.com
    Diet Guide - http://www.dynamiclear.com/diet-guide.htm

    All my best,
    Dr John Spurge ND

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Krista,

    I'm really sorry to hear about your little darling having to deal with the cold sore virus. 8 to 10 breakouts in a year is ridiculous - you shouldn't have to feel helpless and that there is no end to this cycle, there are things that can help.

    I came across your blog post because I work in the treatment of cold sores, specifically developing a topical natural mineral treatment called Dynamiclear and counseling patients on correct nutrition to help ease the frequency of their breakouts (for both genital herpes and cold sores).

    We see a lot of success with people who follow these regimes, and I would be happy to send you some samples for your daughter to try. Please email me your address if this is something you are interested in.

    Here are references to some resources that we promote that are helping lots of other people in similar situations:

    Dynamiclear topical treatment - http://www.dynamiclear.com
    Diet Guide - http://www.dynamiclear.com/diet-guide.htm

    All my best,
    Dr John Spurge ND

    ReplyDelete