Saturday, 29 August 2015

Bulb planting for children

What's happened to the weather?  One minute I'm sweltering in the garden and the girls are splashing about in their pool, the next we're chipping through ice on it.  Well, maybe that's a slight exaggeration, but it's certainly shifted to being a tad nippy hasn't it.  We decided earlier this week to pop down to Longacres and pick up some bulbs to do a bit of planting ready for spring.  Let's face it, it will only take a couple of frosty mornings and all my geraniums will have snuffed it.


I like bulbs as they are always a surprise to me. This is mainly to do with the fact that I inevitably cannot remember what I planted where from one year to the next, so it's always exciting to see what pops up in my pots and borders (I'm not normally that forgetful, honest.  Now, where are my car keys...).

The girls were excited about buying bulbs.  I should mention that they were also keen for me to buy a big ball that was by the entrance door, a jacuzzi that was outside and an ice cream.  Two out of four isn't bad.  Jacuzzi comes next week...just kidding.  We decided to take advantage of the deals that were on of 3 for £10 and 3 for £12.  Every packet was met with 'ooos' and 'ahhhs' as they do enjoy a bit of colour in their lives.  They want to keep the pictures on the packets too for a collage - bonus craft idea!  S loves purple and N pink, so you can imagine that every packet that contained these colours (even if it was just the writing!) was what they wanted.  I had to draw the line at how many bulbs I was prepared to buy otherwise we'd have had more bulbs than garden.


The bulbs they chose were anemone (with much pointing at the packet and prompting by me), 2 varieties of tulips and crocus, iris, hyacinths, and a separate packet of crocus containing blue, purple, white and striped varieties.  All of these bulbs can be planted from August onwards (so before it's too blinkin' cold to be in the garden for a while).  They should give a wonderful burst of colour in the spring.


Then they then spotted the 'cram a pot' section.  Naturally they wanted to do this so we ended up with a very full pot of daffodil bulbs for £3.99 - bargain! They were busy balancing them as high as they could. Whilst it was tempting to take this pot with a pyramid of bulbs on top to the till and hope we got away with it, I suggested that I thought the idea is a level pot.


Now I just have to work out where I want them all and hope they aren't on top of existing ones.  Quite a few we can't plant yet as I want them in my pots at the front of the house, but currently these are occupied by some very large, colourful geraniums.  So, we started by planting a selection in a border by our patio doors.  I mixed the different bulbs up and the girls chose what they wanted (the ones that 'look like rabbit poo' were the most popular) and planted them in the trenches I dug.  I did stumble upon a few already in there from last year though. What was I saying earlier about my memory?

5 comments:

  1. So lovely to see children enjoying plants and gardening. They look like great little helpers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We finally tried Longacres last week too having driven past it so many times. Amazing place, although maybe a little too big!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog piece. Your girls look like they were enjoying themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's just so cute!

    ReplyDelete