Wednesday, 19 August 2015

Friends and Cake

One of my lovely friends came to visit today.  We don't see each other too often now that she's moved a bit further away, and what with children in school, work, study, etc, it means we tend to catch up two or three times a year.  So, when we do, we get our jaws ready and chat away for the full duration!  We can set the world to rights in a matter of minutes.


Of course, the other thing about not seeing each other too often, is that a few extra treats come into play (which means I forget entirely about my diet *shush*).  What better than cake?!  So off I went first thing this morning to Longacres to pick up my selection of cakes and bread for today.  A garden centre for cakes?  I know, sounds a bit mad doesn't it but the reason I love going to Longacres so much is that it is far more than a garden centre.  I sound like a bit of an advert don't I. Sorry!

Longacres bakery section
You see I'm a bit of a fan of Longacres and have been for quite a few years now.  It has evolved into so much more than a garden centre.  Yes, of course you have your usual items such as plants, containers, outdoor furniture, BBQs, toys, and a lovely cafe, but did you know there is also a butcher, a baker and a candlestick maker department?  My particular favourite area is the bakery as they do some seriously yummy cakes and bread (yes, yes, I know that's bad for my diet...I can start again tomorrow right?).



Anyway, they do the best cupcakes I've had in ages and at a cracking price too of 12 for £5.99 - that's cheaper than my local Sainsburys!  I tend to find that most supermarket cupcakes are generally a bit too much about the icing and not enough about the cake for my liking, but these are just perfect.  The cake is wonderfully soft and if it wasn't for my friend and our combined children, I would probably just eat the lot!  As you can see from the picture, S really enjoyed hers!

Guess the flavour

I wanted to do a bit of lunch for us too so I decided to pick up some fresh bread while I was there to have with lunch.  I do love these crusty loaves and the bread is so soft.  This one disappeared in one sitting.  Hubby was most annoyed as he was hoping to have some for his sandwiches for work tomorrow...oops!


We had a great day catching up, with another friend and her boys joining us for a few hours later in the afternoon as well.  Don't worry, we saved them a cupcake each (although it was a close call).

4 comments:

  1. I'm hungry now! I had no idea there was a bakery here. I'll definitely have to go check that out. Hope you enjoyed your cake :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, do check it out. Let me know what you think of the cupcakes ;-)

      Delete
  2. Shelf looks a bit empty in the first picture. Is that all the cake you brought? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, ha, no...honest! I arrived pretty early so think I hadn't yet caught the delivery. Probably good though as heaven knows how much more I would have got ;)

      Delete