Tuesday, 31 May 2016

Holiday fun (and some bad service!)

We've just come back from a fabulous holiday to Cala d'Or, Mallorca.  We chose an apartment/hotel so that we could make the odd lunch for ourselves, then go out for dinner.  A nice combination.


The hotel was lovely, with plenty to do for the children including a mini splash-park and some play equipment, along with a lovely main pool, children's pool area and a jacuzzi.  The Animation team were great and really helped keep children entertained (although they need to pay a bit more attention during 'competitive' games as just guessing the winner is not what it's about!).





Lovely location just 300m from Cala Gran beach, which is lovely.  500m from Cala Ferrera beach too which is much smaller and less facilities on.


Only downside was that I caught a stomach bug there and needed a doctor out at 4am on a Monday morning due to sickness and stomach pains.  Took me 36 hours to recover but the medication she gave me helped. Glad we had travel insurance.


There are two things I am furious about however:

1.  The night porter at the hotel suggested I was 'just drunk' when my husband went down to request a doctor be called!
2.  We paid over 109 Euros for the VIP lounge at Palma Aiport which was a rip-off/joke!  The Thomson coach didn't get there until 11:00 for our 13:00 flight, and then we joined a queue of about 10 other flights going that day which meant it took 1 1/4 hours for us to check our bags in (during the queue, Thomson shut 2 check-in desks - WTF?!) and then our gate had been called so we had to swiftly move through the airport to get to it with 25 minutes to spare, only then to be told about 10 minutes before departure that it was 20 minutes delayed.  I'd recommend not wasting your money on that lounge as you're never likely to use it. Surely Thomson must have known this as they have reps there constantly?!  I want my money back!  Watch this space for the result as, despite phoning them today and emailing in a copy of the receipt, it will, apparently, take them 21 days *minimum* to respond to me (the email says 56 days).  Do that have that many complaints?

On a personal note, it was great to take advantage of going on holiday before the half term week. Our school is now an Academy and have added an hour to our Friday finish time to give us an extra week off.  I think parents are taking advantage of that now as lots of us seem to be away.  I, for one, am grateful for that week as it cost us £850 less to go on holiday then.

2 comments:

  1. What a pain! I hope Thomson get that money back to you! I'd be furious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you got your money back

    ReplyDelete