Friday, 19 August 2016

Bugs and Herbs

Popped down to Longacres today as I wanted a few different herbs for the garden.  The veg table is doing well with the tomatoes and cucumbers but there's plenty of space so a few weeks ago I planted my basil out there instead of having it on the windowsill in the kitchen. It's flowering and doing really well so I decided to get some more herbs.  There was a great selection at Longacres and, better still, they were 5 for £10 - result!


 

The girls also wanted some more bug features for the garden.  Their bug barn is doing well, although I think the birds have stolen all the straw for their nests!  I must put more in and a bit of mesh over the front next time I think.  There was a lovely variety of bug houses available so I decided to get two in the end - a Butterfly and Moth Habitat Feeder and a Beehive.  We have quite a few butterflies and bees around in our garden so it will be nice if some of them make a home with us. 


 

When I got home with them, the girls were absolutely over the moon.  Shame it was raining but we decided to put them up in the afternoon regardless.  The girls went off ferreting around in the waste food bin looking for some over-ripe fruit.  They found a very squashed melon and picked a strawberry off our plant that the slugs had got to.  We then made up some sugar water and N filled the little pots up with it.  I also bought a Buddleia.  May as well encourage the butterflies and bees right?  We decided to hang it on the fence above the potted buddleia, with a piece of buddleia flower inside it as the instructions suggest.  The girls then filled the small black pots with some wildflower seeds (probably the wrong time of year to plant them but they wanted something in there).  I can always buy a few little plants or some more herbs to put there if needed.


 

Finally, we have feeders up for the birds and I've always wanted a bird bath but the big ones are quite pricey (and it's where to put it in the garden).  I spotted a miniature hanging birdbath and so picked that up as well.  I was going to hang that from the tree that overhangs our garden...then I remembered that hubby has cut all such branches down. Oops!  So, on the fence instead. Hope the birds like it there.






The girls enjoyed planting the herbs in the veg table and some grobags we have. Hopefully I'll have some lovely fresh herbs for some time now.  I love cooking 'from scratch' (and it's better for my diet too) so it's good to have fresh herbs rather than running back and forth to the supermarket every time I need something.  

11 comments:

  1. Those bugs houses are fantastic. I can't find them on the website though. The ones there look quite different. If you don't mind me asking, how much are they? My children would love them too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jo. They are gorgeous aren't they. The Butterfly Habitat was £19.99 if I remember correctly and the Beehive was £16.99. They had loads of different types in there, including ladybird houses and bigger 'bug barn' types (much posher than our chopped up pallet LOL). Hope your children enjoy their bugs :) Krista

      Delete
  2. That butterfly house is gorgous! I've got a huge budlea bush in our garden but think i may get a house as well. Hope your children enjoy it and you get more butteflies and bees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope our buddleia gets big too. It says 4' x 4' on the label. It won't last in the pot too long then :) Thank you for your comment.

      Delete
  3. Lovely photos. Your girls look really happy about their new bug houses. How lovely to see children enjoying nature like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sandra. My two youngest would rather play with a woodlouse or snail than a kitten or puppy any day LOL. They are always on about getting more bugs to the garden so hopefully these will help. I'm quite excited to see what may come to stay as well if I'm honest :)

      Delete
  4. Love Longacres!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Longacres is like a bloody jumble sale. They should stick to garden stuff not try and be a supermarket and clothing shop too. The place is a mess. Can't understand why people rave about it so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment. Personally I love it. Their prices are so good (compared to Squires and the like where I feel royally ripped off if I have to go there for anything), there is a fantastic range of garden plants and general garden equipment and sundries, lovely bakers and butchers and lots of knick-knacks. I love exploring it but I guess it's not for everyone.

      Delete
  6. That bird bath is an ideal size for my grandparents garden. They can't fit a huge stone thing in but that would be great. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. Ps. ignore the rude comment someone put on here - probably a rival garden centre! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Dave. Thanks for your post. Hope your grandparents will like the little bird bath. It's a nice size and solidly made so I'm chuffed :) Think you may be right about that other comment ;) But hey, everyone is entitled to their opinion right :)

      Delete