Friday, 16 December 2016

ICIS 2016, Dublin

I was fortunate to have a paper accepted to present at ICIS 2016 in Dublin this month.  Pretty exciting for me as it's my first academic conference where I was presenting - and it's a biggie!  I flew off to Dublin (leaving hubby in charge of the house and girls) last Sunday.   BA flight was spot on time and we'd barely got up before we were coming down again. Short flight.  Not even a headphone socket on the plane though so glad it was so short.

CCD Dublin
Grabbed a coach to the city centre and my hotel, The Clayton at Cardiff Lane, which was very festive in its decoration.  Staff very nice and friendly too.  I was volunteering at the conference (never again!) so started 'work' on the Monday.  My paper was that day too so I was a bit nervous as the time got nearer. I had chance to pop back to the hotel to put on a nice dress first.  My bit of relaxation in doing this was countered by the rooms being moved around at the last moment with those delegates using the App knowing where to do, and those using the printed booklet, not.  We got there in the end but my 22 minutes of presenting/questions was brought down to 10 so it was the fastest I've ever been through the presentation!  Met two of the fabulous academics I've quoted so many times in my thesis, which was fab as I got to have a chat to them and they seemed to like my work (hooray!).


Got to explore a bit of Dublin as well - getting a Dublin geocache too, of course - and picking up the girls some sweet little 'sheep' t-shirts.


The final day we had a nice lunch and then our social in the evening at the Guinness Storehouse. This amazing place was hired just for us and it was absolutely brilliant.  We had Irish bands, a U2 tribute band, other music piped around, a chance to pull our own pints of Guinness, food, views from the 7th floor around the city and time to shop. Heaven!  All in all, a very good time in Dublin.  Now to get my papers ready for the next set of conferences that are happening.  I could get used to this academic life.

No comments:

Post a Comment